Gone are the days when online dating is considered taboo. Over 40 million Americans use online dating services, and that number is growing. With our busy schedules and hectic lifestyles, meeting quality single men can be a challenge. There are many great places to meet single men, and using an online dating site will help you reach a wider variety of men in a very short amount of time. There are many sites out there from widely advertised sites such as eHarmony.com or Match.com, to niche online dating sites geared around people of similar interest, such as green living.
Here are some tips to get the most out of your online dating experience:
1) Profile pictures are important. Why? Men want to know what you look like. After all, wouldn’t you prefer to know what the guy looks like before you contact him? Make sure the pictures are current and show what you really look like. The best pictures are the ones with just you in it. No, they don’t care that the background is beautiful; the guys want to see what YOU look like. Try not to post a group picture; guys do not want to search for you in the picture. And no glamour shot pictures please! Investing in a professional photographer (not the kind you find a Sears or Wal-Mart) will be well worth your money. Focus on casual, door next girl looks during the photo shoots, not the “9-5″ look. If you can’t afford a professional photographer, ask a picture-savvy friend to take some shots for you.
2) Broaden your horizon and give the guys a chance. He may not fit all of your check list items, but if he fits most of them, the guy may have potential. You never know; Mr Perfect may be a bit different than you had imagined.
3) Do not respond to spammers. On some dating sites, men will send bulk emails to women they find attractive, playing the “numbers” game. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME on those types of men. If he can’t put in any effort in writing an original email, addressed to you, he will not put in any effort in the relationship. Delete him.
4) Always talk on the phone first before a first meeting. You will get a better idea of what he is like, and whether or not you want to meet him face to face.
5) Meet in a public place. Being a single gal, your safety should be your number one concern. In fact, I encourage you to meet your dates at least a few times before allowing him to pick you up at your place. Trust me, stalkers are no fun. Keep the dates about 1-2 hours. If you hit it off, you can always plan on a second date. Many people meet over happy hour for drinks and appetizers. Meeting over coffee is fun as well.
6) RELAX and BE FRIENDLY! Believe me, he is just as nervous as you. =) Have fun and try to relax. Pick a great first date outfit that makes you feel sexy and confident. Put away the cell phone, if possible, and make sure to smile. Also, pay attention to his body language. If he playfully touches your arm, he is showing signs that he is interested. Remember, dating should be fun. If it doesn’t work out romantically, who knows, he may be a potential friend.
Online dating is a great new tool for singles to meet people they may otherwise not get the opportunity to meet. Make sure to have fun, and don’t take it so seriously. And make sure you don’t make the biggest dating mistake that women make. Who know, Prince Charming might be a “click” away. =)
Once you meet a great guy, learn what it takes to keep him. It is easier than you think. Click here for more information.